Monday, February 22, 2010

The wonderfulness of the internet

If you know me then you know that one year ago I was not a professional photographer. I was a silly little girl who had just bought a expensive camera. I remember my first "shoot". I talked my best friend into meeting me at the park and letting me take some "myspace pictures" for her. I literally just took the camera out of the box and pushed the shutter button. Thats it. When i got home and looked at the pictures I remember the feeling of frustration that swept over me when I saw the pics on my computer.
My pictures looked nothing like the fabulous pictures I saw on the internet. Even though I had the fancy camera and used all the same poses as the other photographers my pictures still looked like ...

pictures.

I wanted more.I wanted to create works of art for my clients. Not just fancy photographs that uncle Joe could take if he had the same camera. I knew I had to be missing something, so I started Googling . I watched you tube videos and read different blogs. I e mailed photographers begging for advice( hey i was desperate). I learned a few things, but I REALLY started learning about my craft when I joined a online forum on cafemom called photomoms.

I know , it sounds cheesy but let me tell you it was/is a wealth of information for free. As I typed this blog I received a e mail advertising a online workshop taught by a professional photographer about using natural light. IT costs $300.00 !!! And that is with my discount folks. Learning about this art form is not cheap. Photomoms is a group of professional photographers who are willing to help eachother learn and grow for FREE !You might be asking yourself why would they help me?

Because these women love photography and they want to see passion alive and well in others.

It's that simple .

There are a ton of other free or almost free photography forums available in cyber land. With the internet so freely available these days anyone can learn about this art form without breaking the bank. Whether you have dreams of owning your own photography business, or you just want to learn to take better pictures. You can find the information you need.
Another online gem I have started using as of late is clickin moms.

clickin' Moms


This site has a small fee. But I mean small and right now they are offering a 10% discount if you use the code FRIEND totally easy and worth it. I am not joking when i say I learned almost everything I know about photography from a online forum. I am not alone, I have talked with many professional photographers who will tell you the same thing. So check it out, explore, take your camera and show people how you see the world through your lens !

Oh and just so you have something pretty to look at, here is another pic of miss D laughing at my geekiness.
DSC_0522 as Smart Object-1 logo blog

love,

1 comment:

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

Lauren Jean, I just love the way you run your business!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop